Feeling the holiday spirit lately? Why not extend that thoughtfulness to animals in need? I’ve gathered this list of easy ways to help animals to make it super easy to get involved, make your voice heard and do something you feel great about! Please share and help make a difference in the lives of animals worldwide. Happy Holidays!
There are countless animal organizations out there who would benefit greatly from a donation. Sometimes they’ll have plenty of people willing to donate time, but they still need important provisions such as food, litter, kennels, leashes, etc. Donating cash is helpful so that organizations can put it towards whatever is needed at that time. But if you’re budget is tight or you are uncomfortable donating money, you can usually donate much-needed items for the animals.
- Make a cash donation (this is tax-deductible – yay!) to your favorite organization working toward animal rights. Here are a few:
- Donate items such as food, leashes, cat litter, blankets, crates, etc.
- Adopt a rescued farm animal
- Find a local organization to volunteer. VolunteerMatch is great website for finding opportunities near you.
- Walk dogs at a local shelter
- Take photos of animals who need homes and share them online
- Bottle feed kittens (heart is melting!)
- Scoop litter boxes (not the most fun but it needs to be done!)
- Become a Farm Sanctuary member (Jon Stewart is opening their 4th location in New Jersey!)
- Provide a home for an animal in need. Even if you can’t adopt a pet permanently, fostering them will help alleviate resources at shelters so that they can accommodate and rescue even more animals.
Vote with your voice
Educate yourself on animal rights issues and use your vote to affect legislations.
- Take action against animal testing
- Oppose the sale of genetically engineered salmon in the US
- Demand that the USDA be held accountable for animal cruelty
- Support legislation for modern, non-animal testing
- Help stop exports of monkeys destined for labs
- Give animal welfare violators the stiffest penalties possible
Vote with your dollar
- Avoid purchasing products that contain animal products, have been tested on animals or are manufactured by companies that participate in animal testing.
- Find cruelty-free products at Leaping Bunny and Vegan Cuts Beauty Box.
- Check out cool vegan snacks(no animal products!) at Vegan Cuts.
- Support local businesses and organizations that help animals. Here in Austin, there are a ton of vegan food trucks, restaurants, animal shelters and even a vegan grocery store!
Share & Connect
- Help connect animals who need homes with people who might want to adopt them. Many shelters and rescues have sections on their websites with pictures and information about pets who are in need of homes. Share them on social media or post flyers on community boards.
- Write a blog post about vegan recipes or educating about injustices towards animals (animal testing, factory farming, etc).
- Share articles about animal rights on social media and encourage others to educate themselves on the issues. (there is a way to do this respectfully and mindfully, without trying to shock or offend anyone!)
- Invite friends to volunteer at a shelter or help out at pet adoption events with you.
- Make a day out of visiting a farm animal sanctuary to meet animals you don’t normally come face to face with like pigs, goats and turkeys. Bring your friends, family and a picnic. I went to Animal Acres last year on my birthday and it was so fun!
- Give thoughtful gifts that will spread awareness or spark a conversation.
Reorganize Your Plate (and Priorities)
You probably expected this was coming…but yes, eat less animals (or none!). The ultimate – and easiest – way to help animals is to not eat them! Our diet choices have so much power, since we make them at least three times a day. The average person eats almost 200 animals a year. Think about about how many animals you can help simply by switching what’s on your plate. Check out my vegan resources page if you need help getting started.
- Learn how to make your favorite recipes vegan.
- Educate yourself on the facts about why a plant-based diet is the healthiest option.
- Empower yourself with the knowledge, tools and insights to make compassion and healthy choices everyday.
- Stock your kitchen with Vegan Grocery Essentials.
- Prepare yourself with some handy kitchen tools for vegan cooking.