While traveling in Italy for my honeymoon, most hotels we stayed at had limited vegan breakfast options. However, one item that was almost always available to me was granola. Normally, granola is not a staple in my diet but during those two weeks in Italy it became a morning routine for breakfast.
After returning home last weekend, I found myself waking up with a craving for this tasty, crunchy treat. So I decided to try making my own version of vanilla almond granola. Paired with some almond milk, this granola really hit the spot.
In addition to the almonds, I added some macadamia nuts into the mix to add more texture and flavor and just because I happened to have some laying around. There are so many delicious combinations you can create for granola Try mixing it up with different kinds of nuts, dried fruits and spices.
Share your favorite granola combination in the comments below.
- 4 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup raw macadamia nuts
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 real maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Roughly chop nuts and combine with all other dry ingredients and mix together.
- In a separate bowl, heat the coconut oil until it becomes a liquid. Add the vanilla and maple syrup and combine.
- Add the liquid mixture to the oatmeal nut mixture and stir well until all the oats are coated.
- Spread evenly on a nonstick baking sheet.
- Bake for an hour and fifteen minutes, stirring every fifteen minutes.
- Spread in a thin layer over foil or parchment paper on a flat surface and let cool for 30 minutes before eating or saving for later.
- This recipe can make this ahead and granola should last in an airtight container for at least a week.