If you’ve noticed a lack of sweets on my website it’s because I don’t really bake that often. It’s just my husband and I in the house and since I work for myself these days, I don’t have an office full of starving co-workers to gift treats to anymore. The last thing I need is a bunch of cookies and cakes laying around, calling my name.
However, when friends and family come to visit, I immediately dust off my favorite recipes for baked goods and tie on my apron! With more mouths to feed, I give myself free rein to make as many delicious treats as I like.
A couple weeks ago our good friend Lisa (who’s also the other guitarist in our band) came to visit us in Austin all the way from LA. Special occasions like this call for an epic brunch!
To complete this epic vegan brunch, I felt like we needed something sweet – something baked. I did not have oranges, otherwise I would have my favorite crowd-pleaser Orange Crunch Muffins!
So instead, I made this delectable vegan coffee cake. Soft and moist in the middle, with crunchy caramelized cinnamon sugar crumb topping. Paired with strawberries? Whoa!
Whether you’re looking to make an epic vegan brunch or just want to keep it simple, this coffee cake does not disappoint!
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (my favorite is Miyoko's Kitchen - free from palm oil!)
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons cold water) or egg replacer
- 1 cup plant-based milk (soy, almond, oat)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make the crumb topping by combine the flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Cut in the vegan butter with a fork. Keep pressing the fork into the butter as you stir, until the mixture is fully mixed and a crumbly texture. Set aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients for the cake.
- Cut in the vegan butter with a fork or pastry blender.
- Make the flax egg. Add the plant-based milk and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir just until moistened.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 inch pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees of for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool.