This morning I woke up with the desire to bake something. This does not happen very often as I’m not much of a baker, but when it does, I almost invariably end up making banana bread. Today, I wanted to make something different. Remembering back to another baked good my mom used to make, I thought of orange crunch muffins.
I’ve never made them myself and I don’t have the recipe my mom used to make, but it was easy to find one online. I chose the recipe that was the first search result in google and worked my magic to veganize it. By “magic,” I simply mean replacing the chicken’s egg with a flax egg. I also did not have any “cooking oil” as the recipe called for, so I used coconut oil, which is probably healthier anyway – not that this recipe is very healthy!
The recipe I followed also called for nuts, and my husband is not a huge fan of those in baked goods. Because I assumed their purpose in this recipe was to provide the “crunch” from the name, I decided to add Grape Nuts cereal instead. I think the recipe my mom used to make actually called for this and maybe that’s where I got the idea! It worked great as a source of crunch.
The coconut oil worked perfectly to create a moist, crumble texture on the inside. When the muffins came out of the oven, I could barely wait even 10 minutes to try one and they seemed like a denser cake texture, though very moist and delicious. I tried another bite after they had been sitting out for another hour or so and it was a little more crumbly.
The outside of the muffins we almost pastry-like and the glaze on the top is reminiscent of a donut. These Vegan Orange Crunch Muffins would be great to bring to a brunch or party to impress everyone with just how delicious vegan treats can be!
- 1 1/2 cup white flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed, 2 tablespoons water beaten until thick)
- 1/2 cup nondairy milk (I use soy)
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup grape nuts cereal
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. melted nondairy butter
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar(powdered)
- 2-3 Tbsp juice from the orange
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Make the flax egg then combine with milk, orange rind, and oil.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Add liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and combine.
- Pour into greased muffin pan, filling each space a little more than halfway.
- Mix together all ingredients for the crunch topping until crumbly. Pour on top of the batter.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Mix together ingredients for the orange glaze and pour over the hot muffins.
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes.