The other night I was craving something with curry flavor but didn’t really have the patience to cook up a crazy curry meal. Remembering a delicious carrot curry soup I had tried at Auntie Em’s Kitchen a while back I decided to try and create something similar. Their soup was served cold and I imagine this one would be great that way as well. Next time I am thinking of making some sort of sage cream to drizzle on top. Could be served with some warmed garlic naan and a salad but it really holds up as a complete the meal all on its own.
Soup is one of my favorite meals for many reasons. For one, soup is usually fairly simple to prepare but the finish product is so comforting and delicious! This soup would be great for the cooler months and I can imagine I’ll be making it very often around halloween-time due to the warmth of the spices and of course the festive color. This curried carrot soup recipe is super easy and requires minimal ingredients, most of which I would presume are present in many vegetarian kitchens at any given time.
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced or grated finely
- 1 14-ounce can of coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup raw pecan pieces
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 dash red cayenne pepper
- Add the vegetable broth, carrots, onion, curry powder, ginger and coconut milk to a pot and simmer over medium-low heat until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the spicy candied pecans. Toast pecans in a small skillet over medium heat for about a 1 minute, tossing frequently. Add the brown sugar, honey and cayenne pepper and let it cook until everything is melted, stirring constantly.
- Spread the pecans out onto parchment paper or foil and let cool.
- Once the veggies are cooked, pour the contents of the pot into a blender and blend until smooth. Be careful if the mixture is still hot! Either let it cool a bit first, or wrap a dish towel around the blender lid to prevent dangerous messes!
- Mix in the coconut milk and serve topped with the spicy candied pecans.