Everyone is all abuzz about all things pumpkin right now. With the exception of pumpkin seeds and pumpkin pie I have to admit I’m not that big of a fan. I realized while making this recipe that I use sweet potatoes in a LOT of my cooking and then it occurred to me that perhaps sweet potatoes are my pumpkin. Anybody wonder what a sweet potato latte would be like? Maybe I’ll be the first to try one!
So for all of you sweet potato lovers out there, this one is for you…something a little more traditional than say a sweet potato latte. This stew is great for fall time because of it’s hint of spice and heartiness. Yesterday it “rained” for the first time in months and this was the perfect dinner for a cool evening. It was wonderful to curl up and watch a movie with my kitties and my fiance. We finally watched Pacific Rim and I found myself feeling sorry for the Kaijus. Either my compassion for all living things has gone too far or there is a soft spot in my heart for the term Kaijus since that is what we had nicknamed our cats (without even knowing it meant “monster” – which is especially appropriate for the younger one, Miles!)
- 8 cups of vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 2 sweet potatoes, washed and peeled
- 1/2 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 yellow onion
- 1-2 Tbsp. curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop all of the veggies and throw in a large pot with the vegetable broth and the rest of the ingredients.
- Simmer over low heat for about 40 minutes until all veggies are cooked through.
- Once softened mash the sweet potatoes and carrots to until your stew reaches your desired consistency.
- Top with sprigs of fresh cilantro.