‘Tis the season for pumpkin, right? Well I’m not a huge Pumpkin Spice Latte fan (I don’t think it’s vegan anyway). My husband is really into craft beer and the pumpkin beers he has brought home are never my favorite. In fact, there are very few pumpkin-based food and beverages that win my affections.
That’s why I know that my pumpkin bread is aaaamazzzinggg. The only thing better? French toast made with said pumpkin bread! I got the idea from one of my favorite vegan cookbooks, The Vegan Table. I adapted author Colleen Patrick-Goudreau’s recipe for french toast to create this delectable and decadent Pumpkin Bread French Toast, perfect for fall-time breakfast or brunch.
This french toast is great on its own, but I piled mine with banana slices and toasted walnuts with a sprinkling of powdered sugar. You could also top with Cardomom Coconut Cream if you’re going all out.
A couple tips. Make the pumpkin bread beforehand to decrease prep time. And don’t make plans for after eating. You might just want to take a nap!
- 4 Pumpkin Bread Mini Loaves
- 1 cup plant-based milk (I prefer soy or almond)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- Slice each pumpkin bread mini loaf lengthwise into 3 pieces.
- Mix the milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla in a shallow bowl.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Dip each slice of pumpkin bread in the milk mixture and then place in the pan.
- Cook until each side is golden-brown.
- Place each piece on a pan in the oven at about 200 degrees to keep them warm until serving.