You’ve probably noticed the huge foodie trend that is avocado toast…and I’m on board! I am super grateful that this is a thing now because sometimes it’s the only vegan option on a menu!
Before I went vegan, cheese would be my go-to ingredient for fat and flavor when eating out (or at home). But now, avocado has take over this responsibility.
And it’s a good thing, too! Avocados contain a ton of micronutrients and they are made of healthy fats with absolutely no cholesterol.
Back to avocado toast – this stuff is super simple AND super delish. I love this as a snack or turned into a meal for breakfast or lunch.
There’s also a bunch of ways you can elaborate on the recipe or mix it up:
- You could use a variety of different breads (You’ll notice the photo in this post shows an everything bagel.)
- Add different veggies! My favorites include cucumber, red onion, arugula, black pepper, marinated artichoke hearts.
- Fresh herbs can go a long way. I love sprinkling my avocado toast with a touch of paprika and cayenne pepper. If spicy is not your thing, then perhaps opt for some fresh basil, dill or parsley.
- Have it as a snack or turn it into a legit sandwich. Sometimes I pile mine high with tempeh bacon, hummus or even tofu scramble.
Get creative and have fun. When avocado is an ingredient, it’s very hard to do it wrong!
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 slices of bread or bagel halves
- dash of cayenne pepper
- dash of paprika
- dash of salt
- Tomatoes, thinly-sliced
- Cucumbers, thinly-sliced
- Red onion, thinly-sliced
- Toast the bread or bagel slices until slightly browned on top.
- Remove the seed from the avocado and scoop into a bowl. Use a spoon to chop and mash it into smaller chunks.
- Once the bread is toasted, use the spoon to mash the avocado on top in an even layer.
- If you're adding vegetables, slice them up and spread over the avocado.
- Spring with paprika, cayenne and salt to taste.